Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: My first super8 widescreen test

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting. How about TTL Light metering? Will more light fall on the film plane and will a TTL meter adjust automatically or will you have to compensate? Instead of widening the gate could you alternatively narrow it thus avoiding problems with circles of confusion? But I am not sure how you could manufacture a narrow gate. Maybe someone has some ideas.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As I mentioned about modifying the WorkPrinter gate, one of the problems of going to "Ultra-8" is losing pressure on each edge of the film. Ideally, the gate handles the film mostly by the edges with minimal pressure in the center to keep the film flat. In my experiments widening the gate on the WorkPrinter, I found that taking the gate out past the edges of the film worked okay as long as the frame rate was slow; about 1 fps or so. I haven't tried it at the faster WorkPrinter-Pro rate of 6fps but I am fairly certain that shooting at 24fps might make the film buckle on the edges a bit during pulldown as there would be nothing left to keep it from "folding" into the now open gate.

    I think that one would need to leave a *tiny* bit of metal guide on the left and right to keep the film from bending during rapid pulldown. That is why I am trying to offset the image vertically on my ZC1000 so that I can put the sprocket holes *between* the frames. That will allow a very wide screen image that still leaves plenty of metal on the gate at each edge to accomodate the super high 30fps rate!

    Beyond that, I agree with Jukka. The uneven exposure and soft focus must be from the el-cheapo Aurora plastic lens. Certainly all Jukka's other footage has been quite stunning, with perfectly even illumination and focus corner to corner.

    As it should be! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Roger

  3. #13
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got your point Roger!

    About "trying to offset the image vertically"-thing, how are you going to make it?

    Do you make a totally new gate using normal as a model copying basic dimensions of it and then making a new one, or?

    I have thought to make a model of original gate and then using my moulding equipment to mould the final part. That would be very nice way to do new gates, if it works.

    I can make little parts like that at home using tin as a moulding metal, but is it too soft metal for this kind of parts, or suitable, I have to find out.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Supa-eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2001
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is it just me or is there a faint line where the modification shows on the Super 8 film? When looking at the clip all I can notice is the faint blurred line on the right edge. Is this where the sound stripe starts? If so then it doesn't seem like your adding a whole lot to the image through your mod. I don't want to sound like I'm dissing. I think your idea is excellent and if perfected might want to know how to modify my Nizo 6080. I agree with a previous post though, I want to see exactly on film what is being added and why there is that line in the final image???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •